Ice in the Harbour

    Now this is a harbour jammed with ice! This 1904 work by John William Hayward depicts St. John’s harbour on March 1, 1854 as sealing crews cut channels in the ice for the sealing fleet. This image appears in volume 2 of The Book of Newfoundland (p. 13). In 1983, Memorial University’s Art Gallery organized an exhibit called “The Haywards of St. John’s”. It was curated by Chris O’Dea and according to the exhibition catalogue held here in the Centre for Newfoundland Studies, this watercolour was one of the works on display. More information on the art of J. H. Hayward can be found in this November 1983 Trident article by Chris O'Dea.