Thirty-five years ago, on January 9, 1982, Memorial University’s Queen Elizabeth II Library opened its doors to visitors. An estimated 1800 people came that weekend to view the brand new facility. They walked through a building that was five times the size of the former Henrietta Harvey Library, had 200,000 square feet of floor space, contained over 36 miles of shelving that held 850,000 volumes and hosted the largest single Reading Room east of Montreal. A memorable event for those of us who were undergraduates at the time! The photo below shows the familiar pillars of the QEII Library during construction in 1979 (MUN Gazette June 15, 1979).